Communicating With Your Loved One
It can be hard for your loved one living with cancer to ask for help, even when they really need it. Supporting their emotional needs can be challenging. The following communication tips may help.
How You Can Help
- Offer your loved one space to express themselves
- Listen to what they have to say and support their decisions about treatment
- Work together to figure out ways to maintain their independence, while offering support for things they can no longer do on their own
- Encourage them to set daily goals, and learn when to push or step back when their goals may no longer be possible
- Help find support groups that can provide additional care for your loved one